The secret is officially out. An electronic duo from the Southern-most tip of Africa have gone from one of Dance Music’s best kept secrets to an act tipped by industry tastemakers as the band to watch this year.
Their genre-defying mix of live instruments, House beats and searing live performances has seen Goldfish go from impromtu jams at a tiny beach club in Cape Town to headlining Amsterdam’s Olympic Stadium, cracking a top 10 on the US iTunes Dance chart, a residency at Pacha Ibiza with David Guetta and DJ’s like Fedde le Grand knocking at their door to do remix their tracks. It’s almost hard to believe that not very long ago they were just Dom and Dave, two music students who lived a relatively chilled life of surfing and playing music in their home town Cape Town.
All that really did change when they decided to record an album. Not having a record deal or much money, they simply locked themselves in a bedroom...with a double bass, a saxophone and a couple of synths, recording their debut Caught In The Loop on their own. A charming dance record that received massive support from the international dance music scene, desperate for something fresh and new. Pete Tong even called it his Ibiza Poolside Album of the Summer.
The two guys quickly found themselves maintaining gruelling international tour schedule that saw them play sold-out shows from Amsterdam to Miami, from the Sydney Opera House to Sao Paulo, in-between still finding time to mix the covermount CD for DJ mag international, garnering a record-breaking 8 SAMA nominations, numerous number ones radio at home, as well as performances at Glastonbury, Sensation White, Ultra Festival Miami, 46664 and Get Loaded in the Park amongst others.
They even got their hands on a residency to die for; Friday night at Ibiza super-club Pacha. Here they developed their sound further and presented it on their second album Perceptions of Pacha. As no other album, Perceptions Of Pacha captures the carefree vibe of the magical island of Ibiza, with their track Fort Knox cracking the Top 10 on the US iTunes Dance Charts. Following that up with the SAMA award-winning album Get Busy Living featuring the smash Youtube hit video We come together that garnered millions of online views for it’s hilarious and ground breaking animation work that has become a Goldfish trademark.
With props coming from everyone from Dr Dre, Sebastian Ingrosso, Pete Tong, Sander Kleinenberg, Fedde Le Grand and Faithless, watch this space. The Re-invention of the DJ has arrived.
For Press, Bookings and availability contact
Raymond Bloom +2783 602 0202
What people are saying about Goldfish
“…these two freeform improvisation geniuses from South Africa are a real find. Using classic instruments to bring dance music to life, Dominic Peters and David Poole really are the sh*t.
It’s no wonder that Pacha have them signed up for a residency in Ibiza this summer.
Check out their albums and prepare to be amazed! We Love ‘em!” - DJ Mag
Sex. But with Saxophones. - headshotkillz
“Make no mistake, these boys are gonna to be BIG! The two multi-instrumentalists captivate the crowd, and have the UK contingent scratching their heads and saying to each other ‘we’ve got to get these boys over to Europe…’ Essential.” - TrusttheDJ.com
“I couldn’t get their album off my stereo by the pool this Summer” - Pete Tong
“GOLDFISH ... store that name in your memory for longer than 3 seconds, cause these guys are going places.” - Thunda.com
“One of the first acts to truly jump the great divide between dance and live excitement” - 24.com
“It’s Goldfish who really bake the biscuits. 100 percent their own material, these South African Funksters really are as good as we’ve hyped them to be. Jazzy, groovy and loaded with live instrumentation, it’s one helluva party. Think Kraak &
Smaak making sweet sonic love with Derrick Carter and you get the Picture.” - IDJ
From a technical point of view what Goldfish does is blinding…and the fact that they have combined this with catchy hooks and licks makes it doubly so. A brilliant night out! - thechiz.co.za
The duo are full-blown popular icons, and whether you’re a sideline fan, appreciative musician or a crazed groupie, you’ll find a way to give the Fish props. - Overtone mag
“This album shows that heavy jazz cats can make music that is accessible and bursting with groove” - MIO mag
“Did I mention there are only two of them? Go see a live set, and then buy the disc at the show along with the bonus DVD. You will thank me.” - Blunt magazine
“We dig these guys!” FHM
“With Goldfish, you can clearly see they are brilliant. There is nothing like playing a classic instrument to prove you’re a real artist, and people thrive off this element of their show. In fact, unless you are standing right up in the front row, you wouldn't be able to grasp the full complexity of what they are doing…Goldfish are breaking traditional mindsets about this music genre” - Durban scouts
‘Their musical class shines through with elements of Nu-Jazz and traditional African Jazz mixing brilliantly with bluesy Café jazz ala St Germain. But they’re no copycats. Goldfish has their own sound and it is wonderfully African with the sophistication of Europe.” – BPM magazine
"GOLDFISH are without doubt the most exciting live band in the country at the moment. Their unique blend of deep house grooves, live instruments and hypnotic vocal samples have made them the must-see band of the year." Anything Goes
1. 2010 May Fort Knox peaks on US iTunes dance charts at No.7.
2. Four Goldfish Tracks feature in the iTunes Global Dance top 100 2010 (Fort Knox, Soundtracks and Comebacks, Hold Tight and the Real Deal.
1. 1 000 000 + views of We come together music video (www.youtube.com/goldfishlive)
2. Goldfish Track Fort Knox featured in the hugely popular Kia Soul ‘Hamster’ TV advert in US. Canada, Germany & Benelux. A hit on Youtube with combined 2.5 million of views.
- Fatboy Slim Features Goldfish’s Hold Tight on his Summer Mix 2010.08.25
- Goldfish perform at Nelson Mandela 46664 concert 2008
- Pete Tong features Goldfish on his Essential Mix, and on his Web TV Show Fast –Tracks 2008-2010
- Platinum Sales of Perceptions of Pacha in South Africa
- Record breaking 8 nominations in 2008/09 South African Music Awards
-2 Sold out ADE performances 2 months before, only act at ADE to do so
- Performance at the World Cup 2010 opening concert alongside Black Eyed Peas, Alicia Keys, Shakira, John Legend
- 2009, Goldfish Mix the Cover mount CD for August 2009 Ibiza edition of DJ MAGAZINE.
4. 2006 Track “All Night” off Caught in the loop reaches no 1 on The HI5@5 (listener voted chart) and stays there for 3 weeks, it also remains in the top 20 for 15 week.
5. 2008 Track “This is how it goes” becomes most played South African song on South African radio, and still remains in Top 100 most played songs (MEDIA GUIDE STATISTICS) on South African Radio in July 2009!
6. 2008 Track “Soundtracks and come backs” second single off Perceptions of Pacha enters Top 100 most played songs in South Africa, Peaking in top 20.
7. 2009 Track “Cruising through” third single off Perceptions of Pacha enters Top 100 most played songs in South Africa. Peaking in top 20.
8. 2009, June, Track “Fort knox” forth single off Perceptions of Pacha enters Top 100 most played songs in South Africa peaking in top 20.
9. 2010, January, Track “Just for tonight” forth single off Perceptions of Pacha enters Top 100 most played songs in South Africa
10. 4 songs in 2009 Media guide 100 most played songs on all radio in South Africa.
1. Record breaking 8 nominations in 2008/09 South African Music Awards, (Best Dance Album, Best Producer, Best Engineer, Best Music Video “This is how it goes”, Best Music Video “Soundtracks and come backs”, Song of the year “This is how it goes”, Album of the year “Perceptions of Pacha”, Best Duo or Group.
2. Won 2 awards in 2008/09 South African Music Awards, (Best Dance Album, Best Producer)
3. Nominated in Best Alternative category of MTV AFRICA MUSIC AWARDS 2008.
4. 2010 Fort knox nominated in record of the year catagory in 2009/10 South African Music Awards.